NELIEL LV.23 Bamboozled
Apr 18, 2019, 10:03 PM 1,079 read

The Lack of ONYX

FORUM

It's sad to say but we probably won't get an increase of onyx in any form. You get roughly 150k onyx from purchasing the Devil Pass and this I think is why the onyx gathering is so low. DC wants players to continue buying passes not only for new & rare skins but also for the large amounts of onyx. Any other ideas why it's soo hard to obtain onyx in DC?

Comment 21

• JokerOfAllTrades LV.20 Epic Apr 18, 2019, 10:30 PM

From a developer's perspective, there needs to be a bottleneck, especially for a free to play game. In the vast majority of freemium games, the bottleneck is the premium currency (crystals in DC's case). This, however, is almost a non-issue here; there are so many ways to get a sustainable amount of crystals (most popularly, exploration)

This means that DC needs a different bottleneck to make money. And don't get me wrong, there are plenty of people that will also throw money at getting more banner pulls. But, for those that are playing more than casually, Onyx is the primary limiting factor. It forces hurdles on awakenings and upgrading skills. Players get frustrated, and they spend money on purchases that they were on the fence about.

It is all too easy to imagine a player being on the fence about purchasing Devil Pass for the skin and then seeing that it also comes with some Onyx. Makes total business sense to me.

TLDR; DC needs to make money.

• NELIEL LV.23 Bamboozled Apr 18, 2019, 10:33 PM

Hmmm, after beating around the bush I'm guessing you agree with me? I'm not sure what your stand is on the subject. BTW, what kind of dev do you do joker?

• JokerOfAllTrades LV.20 Epic Apr 18, 2019, 10:53 PM

I am not trying to agree or disagree with you, just hoping to have a discussion.

• NO NAME verified Apr 19, 2019, 12:19 AM

Ironically, their most prized material, onyx, isn't even available for purchase in large quantities outside of Devil Pass. If onyx deprivation is their profit strategy, they're doing it wrong.

• JokerOfAllTrades LV.20 Epic Apr 19, 2019, 12:35 AM

That is true. Though on the other hand, being able to directly purchase Onyx would appear too much like a cash grab and deter some players. Also, it would drive the balance of the game more towards whales. (That last part I don't really mind as they are paying so that I can enjoy the game for free)

• NO NAME verified Apr 19, 2019, 12:47 AM

Whales are going to get theirs either way, whether by purchasing overpriced onyx, or the current method of purchasing overpriced crystals and using them to summon vast amounts of onyx fodder.
    I personally don't care if they offer onyx in the shop or not, but when we can't advance in a delayed WB without the assistance of damage buff events AND hackers/modders, and STILL might not make it in time, the distribution is clearly off. It limits their release options as well. If they released a water WB, or light WB in 2-4 weeks, what do you think would happen? Think most players have millions of onyx at their disposal to level those attackers up? So are we just going to go with a new WB once every 4 months instead?

• JokerOfAllTrades LV.20 Epic Apr 19, 2019, 12:50 AM

Alternatively, they could balance the WB better as a reflection of the power level available to their active player base instead of just copying from the other versions of the game where the resource management is different...

• NO NAME verified Apr 19, 2019, 01:03 AM

I've read that WB was nerfed from KR to JP, and even further nerfed from JP to Global. I haven't played those versions to verify, but believe it's likely the WB was already supposed to reflect the differences.

• servitraus LV.13 Clearly Hacking Apr 19, 2019, 01:21 AM

Onyx wasn't a good pokemon

• Mishakeet LV.1 Mootie Apr 19, 2019, 01:30 AM

I think the devs assumed too much that people would know ahead of time about the World Boss. Sure, some people plan meticulously and study events from KR/JP versions, but generally speaking, I don’t think most players do.

I’ve been playing since launch and had a team ready to go, but thats just because I’ve known the best 3/4 star childs to focus on given world battles I studied. No matter the element, I had to have certain healers/buffers/debuffers, and planned accordingly. Realistically, the only elements that were up in the air were the attackers.

New players? Well, this certainly wasn’t an event they were going to be able to do anything about. Can’t blame the devs for that one, as I’m sure the situation would have been the same on KR/JP when they first had a WB event on those servers.

That said, given the population differences (I assume), they really should have been willing to give out more onyx then they did. A paltry 30,000 onyx doesn’t even get you a full awakening on one character. We legit require hackers to even have a change of making it to Phase 10, which is rather sad. Not to mention, the way the event is set up actively dissuades many from buying more tickets and pumping out more damage. The rewards are lackluster compared to Ragna Battle, and by the time you get to Stage 10 Davi, her damage is high enough to take out at least 1 to 3 of your front row (and this is from someone who does 2.6 mil damage every fight). I have no incentive to spend tickets on this round as its not optimal for my cumulative score.

It’s just a really weird event.

That said, assuming you have stamina to spare, my best recommendation for Onyx farming is to play storymode, hoard all the 1-2 star childs you can, and convert them right away for onyx. I can get at least 10k a run, and let say it takes half an hour for my child slots to fill up... well, its gotten my calypso fully awakened in just 1 and a half days.

• NELIEL LV.23 Bamboozled Apr 19, 2019, 07:26 AM

That's a very good point Misha. You stated that you did some research and knew what childs you could use for WB and invested some of your onyx into them. I don't think it's got anything to do with meticulously picking 1child & dumping all onyx into him/her but more to evenly or semi-evenly dispurse onyx into your childs. I've been thinking about this onyx situation and it seems that many players want everything right away & expected to fly thru this first WB in a few days to week. If every event is beaten in a matter of hours or days then I don't see much longevity in this game. I myself would like more onyx to improve my childs but I also at the same time like the fact that over time we will have perfect childs. The way the game is right now seems like it's a game for the long haul and not 1 that you can acquire everything in 4-6 months

• Danbo de Piano LV.27 Bamboozled Apr 18, 2019, 11:49 PM

agreed w basic premise of the assessment above but also there is plenty of opp for onyx without dishing out cash or a ton of it
    1. early of the Davi pvp challenges pay out a ton [the last being that 150k onyx for a few hundred victories]
    2. Crystals can be invested towards onyx payout in the form of summon the catabolize summoned units for onyx
    3. the generous and easily had stamina in the form of auto grinding yields at decent drop rates plenty units that convert at more than decent payout of onyx

so it's not onyx per say that is limited but more accurately the rate of acquisition, it can be had at decent rates w above said indirect farming if only going f2p route

• NO NAME verified Apr 19, 2019, 12:26 AM

I am a Devil Pass purchaser and that's still not enough onyx. Maxing a full team of 20 for WB requires literally millions of onyx. Each 60+6 requires nearly 1.1M onyx to fully awaken and max all skills.

Of course they can't make it easy for everyone to max out a team too quickly as it could hinder long-term investment in the game, but as it stands we are severely under-leveled.

The WB was already well behind the JP schedule, but even with the delay we are still behind in damage output. Now they've granted us TWO different bonus damage buff events because there's no way we will reach level 10 in time without them. It's so bad that some players have convinced themselves that hackers/modders are a necessary evil because they are needed to progress in WB. This is a terrible premise, and shifts blame away from the real issue which is onyx deprivation.

• NELIEL LV.23 Bamboozled Apr 19, 2019, 01:41 AM

This is the very first WB on the global server and the game was released late November-December 2018 from what I've read. Do players really think they're supposed to already have a team of 20 +6 max skilled & leveled childs in 4-5 months? Wouldn't many people have quit by now if that were the case?

If so, maybe it's not the amount of onyx we're able to get but how we're using the onyx we've gotten up until now.

• NO NAME verified Apr 19, 2019, 02:31 AM

I specifically stated that wasn’t a realistic expectation. I have dozens of childs who don’t have ANY awakening or skill upgrades yet, many who I’d love to experiment using in PVP and WB, but can’t because not enough onyx.

The point wasn’t about fielding a full 60+6 team which most non-whales don’t have anyway, but settling into a middle ground where we had options beyond “here’s enough onyx to invest in one child. Choose carefully!”

• Reika Mae LV.34 Dragon Apr 19, 2019, 05:52 AM

You got it baby! This wins all of them, no one else gets it, sadly.

• NO NAME verified Apr 19, 2019, 07:43 AM

Those that don’t get it are generally those who haven’t been playing long enough to roster multiple childs at high uncaps. We do tend to have enough onyx in the early going to fully awaken childs and upgrade skills through 2-10, but it doesn’t scale. We’re receiving the same onyx amounts as always, but the skill upgrade costs skyrocket starting at +3. Once you reach a point of having multiple natural 5* at +3 and higher, it quickly becomes clear that onyx is super scarce relative to what is required.

Fully awaken 5* child = 152k onyx = manageable
    Fully upgrade skills at +6 = 910k onyx = 😳

You’ll feel it soon enough, newer players.

• Maz Shah LV.3 Lurker Apr 19, 2019, 10:14 AM

I have big problem with this

• AzureStar LV.5 Default Savior Apr 19, 2019, 01:20 AM

Kinda wish we could use gold instead of onyx but maybe later in the future we will who knows

• Reika Mae LV.34 Dragon Apr 19, 2019, 05:53 AM

and then we have gold issues

• Kirima Saimyou LV.13 Chief Apr 19, 2019, 11:10 AM

I personally think that only way to change this problem is open the daily onyx dungeon (15-20k daily Onyx is a good amount), because if dev try to change their p2w aspect (Which they plan from the start), it will be bound to fail (My example is Knight Chronicle).

Home