Zimon LV.2 Lurker
Jul 2, 2021, 09:26 AM 832 read

DC Popularity

FORUM

Hi guys, I wanted to ask you why DC is like an "underground" gacha. Let me explain, wherever I go, I find scattkred everywhere and with a large following, videos or posts about "famous gacha" such as Azur Lane or Arknights, it is very rare or almost impossible that I find spontaneously a post / video of DC, and even if I can find it, it has a maximum of 2000/3000 visuals, such as that of Argos or that of Ragna / Break 17. How come this lack of popularity? And yet DC is literally the most F2P gacha in existence with awesome osts and light tactical gameplay. I also understand that people prefer something more "immersive" in terms of gameplay, but it seems strange to me. I don't understand what's missing, maybe an aggressive game sponsorship. I knew they were going to make an action figure of Davi as a promotional product, but then that disappeared into thin air, but this is practically more than a year ago. So, in your opinion, how is the situation?

Comment 13

• Kuro chan LV.19 Let’s play Destiny! Jul 2, 2021, 10:35 PM

I always believe one of the reasons its the name

• Sisi LV.14 Chief Jul 2, 2021, 03:21 PM

I saw it all over the google play store a few years ago and I caved in and been hooked daily since by far more than any other gacha game ever. I think the game is doing great still, but the market is becoming overwhelmed with so many other games to promote that it might be losing steam in marketing, but for all of us who are faithful this game is alive as ever. I hope we get more big crossovers like the Dead Or Alive event last year that will surely bring more attention.

• Paul Green LV.20 S Jul 2, 2021, 12:31 PM

Greater market in Asia, plus DC started there. Harder to advertise in Western markets vs Azur Lane or FGO since it's not an established IP unlike those two that have had other media offshoots.

there is an online store though: https://store-en.shiftup.co.kr/

quite frankly, i like where the game is at popularity wise. true, more players = more potential revenue and that allows the developers to continue working on this game. but that allows brings crunch and a pressure to appeal to a mainstream audience, as opposed to us degens who are here for the plot.

• Tony Li LV.12 Chief Jul 3, 2021, 06:45 AM

I think it's mostly because the lack of advertisments. DC is ranked top gross 130 something on google play store. I guess it's profitable enough and they don't seem to care about the popularity.

• Ericool Lim LV.18 Sage Jul 2, 2021, 04:58 PM

simple Idea... Do animation series and published, sure everyone will come play.

There already got 1 episode, but I cannot get the 2nd episode 🤔

• Rooksillmane LV.8 Nomad Jul 2, 2021, 09:56 PM

honestly the most f2p friendly game imo is still granblue fantasy, great story, characters modes and events as well as collab events like every other month as well as just gifting you free stuff constantly I think dc could take a lot of inspiration from how they operate. I still love Dc but it's not hard to see the flaws in why it struggles compared to other gacha games

• Kara Sol Stay Calm LV.20 Supersonic Jul 2, 2021, 03:32 PM

Its visuals are just about the only selling point of the game. Did everyone get a good laugh at the promotion of TapTap version as "finally, uncensored" followed by the release that did have censorship? Forget the hollowness of promises, the very line of the advertisement proves that publishers consider the artwork of DC a selling point. In my version of google play, you can't even see a single battle gameplay screenshot, it's all about the poster artwork.

I'm a peculiar player, favoring the ecchi art over non-ecchi, if everything else was the same. And I want to play some games on my phone, what am I to do? I think I've only found out about the game when I searched the internet for top-revenue games or something. Just gone through the list, checking things title by title. It is never being suggested by google play, period.
    I'm an aberration in having above-basic command of English, most of the users in my home region would lavish the DC comments page with condemnation of not having been translated into their native language and 1-star ratings, feels like.
    I would prefer at least a bilingual environment on my phone, but I don't have such option, therefore I can't even check what reviews on google play come from the probably intended audience of DC Global, the US players. Chinese version I can't benefit from, but it shouldn't be discounted, if it's incorporated into DC Global, unlike many multiversion games having Chinese on a separate shard.

Anyways, google wouldn't know I was not hounded by sexophobic parents, wouldn't know I strongly preferred English releases and asian voice actors due to production quality, so it would neither suggest the game to me, nor let me find it, unless I have the prior knowledge of what to look for. It must be a factor in player numbers.

• Ravenous LV.23 Titan Jul 2, 2021, 11:46 PM

I can only speculate myself. It could be a small thing like its lack of landscape view for mobile devices or its lack of interaction and direct communication with other players (in the form of groups, clans, guilds etc). It could also be that because the game is performance heavy for older gen smartphones and there are many people who haven't upgraded yet.
    And initially this game needed a lot of QoL improvements which we do have now to some extent but first impressions are everything when it comes to deciding whether to become invested in a gacha or not.

• Kara Sol Stay Calm LV.20 Supersonic Jul 3, 2021, 07:39 AM

I've seen this criticism before, yeah. Portrait mode is bad for some for some reason. Is it the resulting need to hold the phone with one hand?

The other popular reason of hate was how the game can give you the off-meta trash even for 50k crystals spent on summoning. It's a comparatively recent problem that has no chance of getting solved though.

• Baegrok LV.7 Nomad Jul 3, 2021, 06:18 AM

The name is off-putting in a few ways: it’s so close to “Destiny’s Child,” it feels like a bad translation, and I guess it just feels pretty lazy overall. Like, imagine one of the creatives being like “oh that’s a cool name, cuz people love Beyoncé!” That’s just kinda… tacky.

At least it isn’t called something gross sounding like “Brown Dust,” I guess.

• ArchangelJeylan LV.1 Mootie Jul 4, 2021, 02:12 AM

Your not wrong every time I google Destiny Child it almost wont even show up, because of the popular group from back in the 90's.

• ArchangelJeylan LV.1 Mootie Jul 4, 2021, 02:14 AM

Lack of promotional content is a shared responsibility between fans and the company. I like that its not hugely publicized because social opinion in the west would probably ruin the game and get it boycotted.

• OhNoBees LV.11 Chief Jul 6, 2021, 04:31 PM

It also might have to do with some cultures being afraid/embarrassed by sexuality/skimpy clothing/innuendo

Home